02 03 Adventure with the RMKK People: Crying Wolf? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Crying Wolf?

34
by Marlene
Picketing to delist wolves
Before taking M & E to their shooting match last Saturday, David joked how we would be passing in front of Montana Department of Fish, Wildlife, and Parks. Hunters would be there protesting the federal wolf management. In jest, he suggested we be cautious and roll up our windows against these supposed angry people. The protection of wolves has created quite a stir in this community. Wolves have rebounded and as their numbers have grown, packs of wolves are roaming around killing beloved dogs and expensive livestock. Needless to say, Montana is a hunter's haven and it is claimed that wolves are also taking a toll on the elk population. As one sign said, deer and elk feed my family, wolves don't. I just want to see a wolf and am not passionate about the cause one way or another, although I do believe I can see both sides. So why am I writing about this? Because I like that I live in a state where newspaper headlines are about wildlife and protecting the wilderness and that the people here are self-sufficient and independent. Many hunt for food and fill their freezers with deer and elk to live on all year. One mom told me she rarely goes to the grocery and that all or most of her family's meat is from deer killed during hunting season. Even my daughter and her family who live in the "Last Frontier" of Alaska eat a moose roast now and then! Now that is awesome!

Shooting prone position
At the shooting match, excitement filled the air as the competitors signed in. M & E nervously loaded their rifles and shot as well as possible. "Would someone win the glamorous golden trophy for overall best shot", M wondered? After shooting at their time slots, we all headed out to Lone Pine State park. It was a beautiful, brisk day, with spectacular views of the snow covered valley. M & E's shooting skills have improved and perhaps one day they will take to hunting. I really must hone my bow skills and start thinking about the next turkey season!


A snowy Lone Pine scenic lookout

Labels: , , , ,

35 36 37 38