02 03 Adventure with the RMKK People: Runaway Bride 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Runaway Bride

34
Runaway Bride (Widescreen Edition)
Click for more info on Amazon
I’ve been wanting to tell you who I saw at Super 1 a few weeks ago.  Well, I can’t be absolutely certain because I didn’t ask, but it sure looked like him. Whenever I see a celebrity or somebody I think is a celebrity, I just toss the possibility around in my head. I don’t bug them and ask for their autograph or confirmation of their identity. If our eyes meet, I usually exchange a smile of recognition or something like that. Wait!  On second thought, my husband, daughter M, and I did behave like paparazzi to Mr. Nerison. He‘s the man who lives in our neighborhood and who made the news about being attacked by a grizzly while jogging in the park. We’re usually pretty laid back and don’t chase people down, but I had written about Mr. Nerison‘s attack on this blog. His daughter read the post and had gotten a little irritated by my choice of words. She left a comment to put me in my place. So, when we saw Mr. Nerison walking around the neighborhood with a bandaged leg, we just had to stop him and talk to him. I know, you want to know who I saw in the store.

Like I said, it was a few days before July 4th. E and I were in the express lane getting some last minute supplies for our family's trip to Virginia City. This tall, nice looking guy comes up behind us with an item or two, so I said he could go ahead of me because I was at the limit of 15 items. No, you don’t have to be good looking for me to let you ahead. I always do this at the grocery when I see someone with just a few things. I wish more people would do it for me. He says “thank you” and gets in front of me. We’re just standing there waiting to check out when he looks at my Peace Tea on the conveyor belt and says, “That’s pretty good iced tea,” and I say, “Yeah, we like it after a hike.” It isn’t until he checks out and leaves that I ponder that he may have been a celebrity. I thought about asking the cashier‘s opinion, but didn‘t. On the way home, I told my daughter, E, that I thought the guy looked kind of familiar, like some movie star, but I couldn’t think of his name. I Googled Brokeback Mountain because that’s the only movie I could think of that I knew this guy was in. The pictures, the height, and age of Jake Gyllenhaal matched the description of the guy in jeans and a T-shirt at Super 1. So who knows?  I bet you thought it was going to be Richard Gere, huh?

But you’re wondering why I titled this post “Runaway Bride”. Well, there was an article in Sunday’s paper titled, “The Whole Truth About Half Moon”. It’s a name that’s been given to more than one historic spot in the north end of the Flathead Valley. The article explained how the term “Half Moon” came about, where Half Moon is and how many Half Moon locations there are around the valley. It also said that in 1910, a Half Moon School had been built along with a teacherage. In 1974, someone moved the restored school to the North Fork Road and in the early 1990’s the movie star Kiefer Sutherland restored the teacherage on his 300 acre ranch and made it into a studio for his then finance Julia Roberts. They were supposed to be married in June of 1991, but Roberts broke the engagement three days before the wedding and ran off with another man to Europe. Kiefer Sutherland sold the building and property but a cornerstone on the teacherage still reads Sutherland Ranch.  So, it appears Julia is a runaway bride in real life, not just in the movies.

It was a glorious Sunday afternoon and with no other plans, my husband and I decided to ride out to the ranch to get some pictures. We thought you might like to see Julia's studio and the cornerstone. The valley is lovely out there and I thought about Julia's running away as I stood on the porch absorbing the view.  Whether Julia makes a habit of leaving men at the alter, I wouldn't know.  If you're out there Julia and want to tell me your side of the story, I'm listening.


The Kiefer Sutherland Ranch cornerstone west of Columbia Falls, MT

The view behind this building is to the north and looking towards "Big Mountain" -  Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort.
Here I am in front of the 1910 teacherage that was restored by Kiefer Sutherland for Julia Roberts. 
Sweeping views of big sky from the porch. Reportedly, Kiefer and Julia visited the ranch and enjoyed riding horses here.  There was a soothing peacefulness to the surroundings.
Julia's view from the porch of the studio.

Many celebrities have taken up residence under the Big Sky. Wide open spaces, easy living, and respect for one’s privacy are just a few of the reasons that make it a great place to kick up your heels and relax.

And don't forget...the people ahead of you in the express line are the ones who can count to 10.

Peace,




Other celebrity articles you may enjoy:

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38