34
“Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans”, I asked David as he listened to a video performance by Louis Armstrong and Billie Holiday. He answered in the affirmative and I responded with “I don’t miss it at all”.
I don’t miss the heat, the crime, big city life, or Mardi Gras. I’m perfectly content with living in the west. But the question is not whether or not I miss New Orleans but do I know what it means. The truth is, yes. Having been born and raised in a city rich in culture, defined by its fabulous food and its soulful music, how could I not?
Remembering the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina this past weekend brought back a lot of fond memories of "The City That Care Forgot". Watching the videos and sharing memories made me a little sad but at the same time reminded me that I’m one of the lucky ones. And I know what it means to miss New Orleans.