02 03 Adventure with the RMKK People: How to Make Snow 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

How to Make Snow

34
How will we get the groceries home in the winter…without them being frozen solid?  They’ll be in the bed of the pick-up truck.  Won’t the cans of soda burst? These were questions our southern brains used to ponder before we moved to the frozen north.  Turns out the frozen north isn’t always in the deep freeze and getting our groceries home without them turning into frozen dinners has been a piece of cake.  


So what does it take to keep food frozen?  Most things without a high sugar content freeze solid at about 20 degrees Fahrenheit.  My son in law kept at lot of these sparkling juices chilled outside our back door last Thanksgiving.  The high temps were in the 40’s, I think. Cold enough to keep things cool, but not cold enough to freeze.



I think we'll have some of this juice this year too.


Ice cream needs to be below 5 degrees F to stay solid. I’m thinking of stocking up on some Breyer’s Coffee Flavored ice cream.  Problem is, only one store I know of carries it and I don’t think I want to drive through blowing snow to satisfy a craving.  Besides, hot apple cider is warming in the crockpot today.


At this point, I know you’re wondering what the best temperature is to keep your food really fresh and frozen for a long period of time.  The answer is 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  And what do you do for fun if you are living in the deep freeze?  You make snow…or should I say you make MORE snow.


Since so much of the country this week is having an arctic blast and will be in the deep freeze, I've decided to repost these instructions for  “How to Make Snow”.  It might give you  something to do after you scrape the ice off of your windshield. 




Making snow in 2008


How to Make Snow

What you'll need:




Procedure: 


Explanation: 


Tips for best results: 

Have fun and thanks for stopping by y'all!

Labels: ,

35 36 37 38