The other day we went snowshoeing along the Flathead River. The skies were gray but it was a winter wonderland nevertheless.
I love the way this trail looks!
It may look downright cold but it wasn't. Of course I was wearing long-johns and had heat warmers in my mittens. But, I don't think that was it.
Afterwards we passed by Woodland Pond to see if it had been plowed for ice skating. Snow covered most of it and the Danger Thin Ice sign was still posted. David took a walk out on the ice and found it was still slushy...kind of surprising considering the cold temps we've been having.
Here are some tips to tell if ice is safe for skating:
Before venturing onto a frozen pond, check to see if the ice is thick enough to skate on. If possible use an ice auger to drill a hole in the ice. If you do not have an ice auger and the ice is clear, find an angle at which you can see where the depth of the ice ends and water begins.
Here are the meanings of ice thickness:
3" or less STAY OFF
4" safe for ice skating, walking, and cross country skiing
5" safe for one snowmobile or ATV
8"-12" safe for one car or small pickup
12"-15" safe for one medium pickup truck or van.
If you can't see the depth of the ice, use the weather and color of the ice as a guide.
Bluish white - safe to skate on
Black or clear - very thick and safe
Pitted and milky - very unstable
Let me know if you guys ice skate. I'm no ballerina on ice but I love getting out on the pond! It makes me feel free!