02 03 Adventure with the RMKK People: The Year Lake Pontchartrain Froze 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

The Year Lake Pontchartrain Froze

34
Our 1989 Louisiana snowman

Freezing temperatures gripped Southeast Louisiana this morning. It was about 25 degrees with a wind chill of 18.  No doubt, weather forecasters had called for a “hard freeze” and I’m sure they recommended the three P’s…protect pipes, pets, and plants. Arctic air is due to invade the region over the next few days and the National Weather Service has issued a "Hazardous Weather Outlook".

It’s only been a handful of years since we've lived in the burbs of New Orleans. Nevertheless, it’s hard to imagine having to run the faucet during a freeze to keep the pipes from bursting.  It's a completely different climate here in Montana with a whole other set of weather rules.  As I was pondering those differences, I began reflecting on the winter of 1989. 

On December 23, 1989, the New Orleans Lakefront weather station reported a low of 10 degrees Fahrenheit.  Talk about a hard freeze!  It was the winter that Lake Pontchartrain froze! 

The icy shoreline of Lake Pontchartrain in December of 1989.

We went out to the lake and what a surprise it was to see it had turned to ice. David walked out on to the lake with the big kids.  It was a bit farther than I was comfortable with but he says I didn't have anything to worry about.  He put his foot through the ice though, but insists that the lake was shallow at that point. 



David with the big kids; Kyle (age 12), Jared (age 15) and Janice (age 14) 

It truly was an amazing sight to behold and a rare occurrence for the deep south.  


Here Jared sits on the frozen shoreline of Lake Pontchartrain.

I now have the pleasure of walking on frozen lakes each winter but don't have much opportunity to hear good old summertime thunderstorms. So I say to all those down south who may be grumbling about the current cold snap, enjoy it while it lasts. It will be gone before you know it.

More of my life in Louisiana:

Thanks for stopping by y'all!




Labels:

35 36 37 38