34
I don’t regularly tune-in to the national news, nor am I a regular viewer of Oprah.
But when I discovered yesterday that Oprah’s show was going to be The 20 Years Younger Challenge, it intrigued me. After I finished Sweet Mom’s story time, I was going to tune in to the show. But a few minutes before 4, Mallory called and asked me to log into Squidoo and publish her hiking lens. She was participating in a Jenga Challenge, which had a deadline. She had left the house without publishing her article and wouldn't return in time to meet the deadline. She called and asked if I would publish it for her. So after clicking PUBLISH, I tuned in to see what the experts had to say about anti-aging. Nothing new or extraordinary was discussed that I hadn’t heard before, although some of the results were pretty amazing and inspirational.
Basically, it was a reminder that:
Diet - whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lentils, and nuts
Exercise - 30 minutes a day of cardio and weight training
Sleep - 7 to 9 hours per day
Skin - Care for it throughout your life and don’t overexpose it to the sun
…go a long way to helping one stay young.
The show was a source of encouragement as I am more determined to become proficient in biking uphill. Admittedly, I felt self-satisfied as both M and E said that I look better than the participants in the challenge. It was nice to hear.
After Oprah, the national news came on. As I said, I rarely watch it. I find the national news and main stream media to be lacking in thorough reporting not to mention their biased representation of the so-called news. On top of that, TV news has too many prescription drug advertisements and other family unfriendly commercials I don’t care to see.
As I prepared dinner, I was mostly listening instead of watching the news. It became apparent that the top news of the day was the Royal Wedding. My ears perked up when I heard an interviewee state that nobody living in the modern world would care that Kate and William had lived together before marriage. Well just call me Nobody.
This is the second time I’ve heard this and I feel as though they are telling me I am not supposed to have an opinion on it. The truth of the matter is I do. I realize it’s none of my business if Kate is a shack up honey or that William has been getting the milk for free. What I resent is a society, and particularly the media, that increasingly promotes promiscuity to my kids and grandkids. Movies, newspapers, TV shows...all portray it's okay to sleep around and that everybody does it.
Well, I disagree.
Obviously, the argument that co-habitation before marriage is a means of finding out compatibility just doesn't wash. Many of those that go through with a ceremony still find themselves in divorce court.