1. Honesty is the best policy – Of course, it is. “Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.”
2. The truth hurts – Whether we are the giver or receiver of the truth, it can be unpleasant.
3. It’s nice to be different – Following the crowd is ordinary, standing apart from the crowd is extraordinary.
4. Bring your own candy to the theatre – This is a no-brainer. It’s a lot cheaper to buy it from the dime store <------ (stores used to have candy that actually costs only 10 cents) than to buy it from the overpriced candy counter at the show.
5. Recycling – Not the modern type of recycling where people pay to have someone pick up their bottles and cans from a container they have set out on the curb, but the old fashioned kind where one reuses everyday household items.
6. Give right where right is do – I’ve preached this one many times over the years in my own family. Teachers haven’t liked it so much, because sometimes they have been wrong and my kids have been right.
7. Pay your own way – This one is simple. Nobody likes a mooch.
8. Reciprocate – Return a good deed. If someone has you over for barbecue, have them over for crawfish.
9. Life is full of disappointments – Life is a roller coaster of ups and downs. It’s best not to dwell on the downs, and get over them as best you can and move on.
10. It takes all kinds to make a world – Mom always said it would be pretty darn boring if we were all alike. And yes, it would.
Happy Mother's Day!
You may also like: