Wednesday, May 23, 2012
Wednesday, May 16, 2012
Powder, patch, and ball, or it won’t shoot at all. Follow this and you’ll be okay, unless a dream gets in your way.
I’ve been down more muddy Montana roads this spring than ever before and the narrow one-lane road to the muzzleloading range can be particularly scary because it is winding and steep. I am thankful for 4-wheel drive. However, I must admit it gets kind of fun when we get to flatter ground and drive through soggy ruts. Briefly we are propelled through the woods like an amusement ride - as in when you play like you are doing the driving on a mechanized kiddy car track, but the machine is in control - not you.
The mood was upbeat last Sunday as the sun was out for a change which made it warm and pleasant. The fire was going, but from the looks of things hardly anyone felt it necessary to stand up-close for warmth. continue reading
Till next time,
Saturday, May 12, 2012
1. Honesty is the best policy – Of course, it is. “Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive.”
2. The truth hurts – Whether we are the giver or receiver of the truth, it can be unpleasant.
3. It’s nice to be different – Following the crowd is ordinary, standing apart from the crowd is extraordinary.
4. Bring your own candy to the theatre – This is a no-brainer. It’s a lot cheaper to buy it from the dime store <------ (stores used to have candy that actually costs only 10 cents) than to buy it from the overpriced candy counter at the show.
5. Recycling – Not the modern type of recycling where people pay to have someone pick up their bottles and cans from a container they have set out on the curb, but the old fashioned kind where one reuses everyday household items.
6. Give right where right is do – I’ve preached this one many times over the years in my own family. Teachers haven’t liked it so much, because sometimes they have been wrong and my kids have been right.
7. Pay your own way – This one is simple. Nobody likes a mooch.
8. Reciprocate – Return a good deed. If someone has you over for barbecue, have them over for crawfish.
9. Life is full of disappointments – Life is a roller coaster of ups and downs. It’s best not to dwell on the downs, and get over them as best you can and move on.
10. It takes all kinds to make a world – Mom always said it would be pretty darn boring if we were all alike. And yes, it would.
Happy Mother's Day!
You may also like: